Sunday, August 30, 2015

Class Notes - "The Dash"

Key Links & Tools:

Brian's Teaching Notes:

Mankind has told stories since the beginning. They are used to
Teach - tortoise and the hare
Entertain - Shakespeare
Really good stories do both…and make us feel.

The problem with Family History stories is that we:
  1. Try to tell everything we know, and
  2. Think we have to work only from "cold, hard facts"
Let me give an example. In the story of the tortoise and the hare we don't know the names of the tortoise's parents or even where he grew up…because it's not relevant to the story.
In Romeo & Juliet we don't know what year Romeo was born or the names and birthdays of all of Juliet's sisters…because it's not relevant to the story.

Don't confuse Genealogy with Family History. They have different purposes.
DISCUSS: What, then, should be the purpose of Family History stories?

Consider
  1. What are the relevant bits of the story
  2. What gives the underlying story meaning
Repeat
And I would like to add a third item for Family History
  1. What makes the story personal / inspirational / spiritual

Sherry Russon's talk "I was taught from their examples that I can be happy in my trials"

Separate Family History from "the dash". The dash stands alone.

GATHER
ORGANIZE/ARCHIVE
SHARE
CAPTURE
-Event related focus
-Person "                   "
-Location "                "
-Media  "                   "
*Wedding (Addie's video
  (Wedding pictures of ancestors
-Albums
-Digitize (all videos
    (scan pics
   (online and CD,
   (resolution, format
  • Book
-Costco Thumbnails
-SmugMug
-Cloud
-CD / DVD

Key Li/ Thumb Drive
   (Christmas CD
-Printed Copy (Archive
  (book and .PDF audible
-TBT (Throw-back Thursday
-Calendar
-Newsletter
-Video
-Picture Contest
-Annual Report
-Email
   (Virginia
-Journals
-Interview
-FHE

VIDEO
PICTURES
STORIES
RECIPIES
EVENTS
TRADITIONS
BIOGRAPHICAL DATA
(Worksheets for Acord
Games / Quiz
DOCUMENTS
TALENTS
FAVORITES
-Books
-Stories
-Music
AUDIO
-Interviews
TESTIMONIES (xfer church talks, lessons, missionary letters

I gathered a lot of .PDFs and .DOCs but what do you do with them? IDK
Record - Mom & Grandma Ella
I have only one recording that has a voice from one of my four grandparents.
When I was in Virginia I was doing some family history. I sent letters to my grandma during my mission and asked her to write some stuff down. I think I gave her a tape recorder during one of my visits home.
PLAY RECORDING OF ELLA -
<<Grandma Ella History.mp3>>
PROJECT: - I'm going to use that audio and create a movie with pictures, maps, etc. to let my Grandma tell the story while I back it up with interesting visuals.

Organize Family Movies
Transfer to DVD
Create Clips, Tag & Upload to family media site

Now that I have all those assets, now what?

Saturday I ran across this clip that I had seen before but never really considered and it prompted a completely new project for me.

PLAY VIDEO OF "THIS IS MY GRANDMA"
ASK Your thoughts on the impact of that video?
ASK - What was the name of the grandma? When / where was she born?
   …because it's not relevant to the story.
ASK Any ideas what my project might be?
   - imagine a simple tool that would allow you to introduce your grandparents to their great-great-grandchildren.

One of the ways Family History has changed my life is its ability to not only learn about my ancestors but to seriously consider what message / memories I want to leave to my posterity.
 - A Tale of Two Legacies
       - One of my ancestors likes to say "It takes a big dog to weigh a ton" (I don't think
       - Funeral story / Warm doughnuts @ MTC

JACOB 4:4
  - Precede by telling my story of how the Book of Mormon changed my life (Jacob 1:12)

Take your favorite scripture / story & match it with a favorite picture of a favorite person.
Pull Family History into every gospel topic / lesson / personal progress / journal entry
   - add a Family History element -- "When I think of Faith, I think of my third great grandmother Frost and how she…
   - record your thoughts and share them in a meaningful way

Pinterest Idea below

Technology - Facebook Timeline - https://mysocialbook.com/
   I simply ask, why do you think we have that kind of technology in our time?

OTHER IDEAS
Pinterest-type squares  with pictures of ancestry along with quote, or favorite scripture - Pinterest - Laugh with 

No comments:

Post a Comment