Monday, July 11, 2011

July's Message

My family just returned from a short trip down to St. George. In our preparations for the trip, I had asked a few people what things we should do and see. I got some advice and more than one questioned my sanity in going to Southern Utah in the summer. Though the temperature, at times, exceeded the 100 degree mark, the opportunity to visit St. George was a great one. There was one word that crossed my mind a number of times during our trip down south—perspective. In the car, I wore a pair of sunglasses that tinted the landscape a more lively shade of its original color. Previously, I had never paid much attention to the scenery. This trip provided me with a realization of the beautiful mountains, valleys, and farmland in southern Utah.

In St. George, we visited the St. George Tabernacle. As we made our way up the steps to the front door, I remembered that a distant relative of mine, Miles Romney, may have been involved with the building of the Tabernacle. As we entered the doors, there was a circular stairwell that went up to the second floor. I grabbed a brochure on one of the tables and started to scan the inside and my memory was confirmed. Not only had Miles Romney helped build the Tabernacle, he was actually the supervisor of the Tabernacle construction project. In fact, he called the circular staircases in the Tabernacle his crowning achievement. Seeing the work of my ancestor, helped me more fully realize the impact that my ancestors have on my life today.

Sometimes it just takes a little change in perspective to make us fully appreciate the blessings we have in our lives. The sunglasses helped me see the landscape in a different way. The visit to the Tabernacle helped me better appreciate the actions of our ancestors and the love they had for those that would follow. I’m grateful for the small opportunities our Father in Heaven gives to help us gain a better understanding of his blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment